THE YEAR 2019: IIT Kharagpur Foundation, USA
Fellow Alumnus/na of IIT Kharagpur,
It's that time again--the start of the holiday season and the end of another year. We wanted to reach out and give you updates on a few of the accomplishments the IITKGP Foundation (IITKGPF) has achieved over this past year.
- Alumni Clock Tower--The Alumni Clock Tower project which was started in 2017 has now come to completion! The Dedication Ceremonies will be January 25, 2020 at noon at IIT- Kharagpur (IITKGP). Coinciding with the dedication ceremony, that weekend (January 24-26, 2020) will also feature the renewed dedication of the Batch of 1970 ADDA Project, GOLDEN2020REUNION, and the celebration of Spring Festival 2020. Please join us for these upcoming events!
- MoU between IIT Kharagpur, IITKGP Foundation, and WHEELS/WIN Foundation--The WHEELS/WIN Foundation inked an MoU with IITKGP and IITKGPF to set-up a Water Treatment Project. The grant of close to $100,000 will be used for research and development in the hopes of producing Potable Quality Treated Water. Professor Makrand Ghangrekar, Head, School of Environmental Science and Engineering, IIT KGP is heading up the development of this project.
- Professor A.S. Davis Chair Professorship--Professor Prasanta Das of the Department of Mechanical Engineering was awarded the "Professor A.S. Davis Chair Professorship in Thermodynamics" at IIT-Kharagpur. Vinod Gupta ('67) set up this award to honor his professor, A.S. Davis. With the implementation of this professorship, Prof. Das will be able to carry out state-of-the-art teaching, research, and other developments within the department.
- International Internships--In its second year of the program, the Foundation was able to award 15 student's scholarships to pursue international internships at leading colleges/universities around the world. Over one hundred of the top IIT-KGP students applied for this opportunity. The institutions our students interned with are California Institute of Technology, MIT, University of Illinois-Urbana, Georgia Tech, and the University of Michigan in the US; NUS and Nanyang University in Singapore, Darmstadt in Germany, and at Lausanne in Switzerland. The intern's prepare reports about their experiences and projects that we will share with you in an upcoming newsletter. Our goal is for this program to continue and grow in the future!
- Academy of Classical and Folk Arts--Alumnus Mukund Padmanabhan ('87) has endowed significant resources to strengthen the 'Academy of Classical and Folk Arts' at IIT-Kharagpur. Under this support, the newly launched Arts academy will create a musical auditorium, conduct several Folk Arts workshops and engage teaching fellows. Pallab Dasgupta, AK Singh Chair Professor, and Prof. Joy Sen, HOD of Architecture, are heading up this program to introduce IITKGP architectural and engineering students to the classical and folk arts and encourage use of such artistic talents to supplement the highly competitive technical education. Alumni Arjun Malhotra ('70) and Kiran Seth ('70) have already provided critical support for this Academy.
- Office of Alumni Affairs Officers Training--Mr. Anirban Roy (Alumni Fundraising & Corporate Relations, Institutional Development Executive) and Ms. Shreyoshi Ghosh (Media, Branding & Alumni Communications) traveled to the US in September to visit with alumni and colleagues of IIT-KGP in US cities with a large alumni population and US university alumni affairs offices for advanced training. They were joined by Prof. Subrata Chattopadhyay, Avinash Gupta Chair Professor, and Dean, Alumni Affairs, and Prof. Haimanti Banerji of Architecture, to address the IIT Alumni in Michigan and Boston. Both Anirban and Shreyoshi were able to take back an abundance of knowledge about how US alumni affairs offices operate.
- Chair Professorship in Center for Petroleum Engineering--A chair professorship created by Shion Deysarkar, son of alumni Asoke Deysarkar ('71) and Ruma Acharya Deysarkar ('74) will support a professor in the departments of Geology and Petroleum Engineering.
- AKS (Ajay Kumar Singh) Endowment Fund--Two additional chair professorships will be awarded as the AK Singh Chair Professors, by the Batch of 1993. AK Singh was a 1993 graduate who lost his life in the line of duty as an IPS Officer.
- ADSIP Program--Alumnus Asoke Deysarkar ('71) launched the "Asoke Deysarkar International Program (ADSIP)" to provide scholarships for SAARC nationals. The program is open for all full-time students across all levels of study in SAARC countries outside India.
- Chandralekha Singh ('88) and Jeremy Levy Student Excellence Awards--Two awards were given last year and this year's awards are scheduled to be announced very soon.
- Partha S Ghosh Academy of Leadership--The academy, the first of its kind in India, is in its planning stages. The academy intends to develop innovative programs combining the core curricula in science and engineering disciplines with philosophy, reasoning, and liberal arts.
There are many new and exciting projects in the pipeline as we enter the New Year and the Foundation will continue working hard for the success of their alma mater!
We want to thank you for your generosity and support. Your contributions to IITKGP help the Foundation to assist with the above initiatives, continue to introduce new programs to drive ongoing success, and uphold our reputation as a world-class institution.
If you have a proposal for a fundraising initiative, would like to help us with future initiatives, want to become more involved with the Foundation or have any news to share about KGP-related happenings, please drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are always looking for more "champions" of KGP.
The IITKGP Foundation is an IRS authorized 501(c)(3) entity and your donations may be tax-deductible under the US Law.
You can make a quick donation online now:
To send a check, you can mail it to the following address:
PO Box 27183
Omaha, NE 68127
(Note: make sure to list your donation intentions in the memo or include a note with your check.)
Best wishes to you and yours for the upcoming holiday season,
Ron S. Gupta (Arch., 1970, NH) Erin L. Moran
President Executive Director
IIT Kharagpur Foundation of USA IIT Kharagpur Foundation of USA